Whether you’ve been following a vegan diet for as long as you can remember, or you’re a recent Veganuary convert, there’s probably a burning question on your lips:
Is CBD vegan-friendly?
Now, for us at The Good Level, this is a really easy question to answer: Yes! All of our oils are totally 100% free of animal products, and completely natural and cruelty-free, too.
But sadly, we can’t speak for the entire CBD industry. While some CBD products are vegan-friendly, others aren’t. It’s all down to the extras some brands mix in with CBD.
Let’s take a closer look…
Pure CBD is Plant-Based
CBD, or Cannabidiol, is a compound that comes from the cannabis plant. Usually the cannabis sativa plant, which contains less THC – the psychoactive compound – than the cannabis indica plant. But that doesn’t really matter right now. Whatever type of plant the CBD is derived from, it’s still plant-based. Just like a juicy tomato or some crisp kale.
CBD oil tinctures are rarely completely pure. They’re usually mixed with a natural (and often vegan) lipid carrier like MCT oil or olive oil. There’s three reasons for doing this:
- The oil is easy to administer when it’s mixed into a carrier oil
- Research shows that CBD bioavailability is improved with a lipid carrier
- The carrier oils are often full of vitamins and powerful antioxidants
With The Good Level, this is exactly what you get. No more. No less. No hidden bits of animal. All our good stuff – including our Omega 3 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acids, and monounsaturated fats – come exclusively from vegan-friendly olive oil. And not just any olive oil; only the best Extra Virgin olive oil sourced directly from Katamala, Greece.
What to Watch For
However, some CBD brands may not be as vegan-friendly as we are. It really depends on the choice of oil, and loads of other factors like additional ingredients and flavourings. Here are a few things that are important to keep your eyes peeled for:
- CBD oils containing natural or artificial flavourings that may not be vegan
- CBD oils contained in gelatine capsules
- CBD gummies made from gelatine or bone char sugar cane
- CBD chocolates containing dairy products
- CBD-infused skincare products containing beeswax
- CBD e-liquids with propylene glycol (if not made using non-vegan processes)
- CBD products that have been tested on animals
These products are best avoided if you’re trying to follow a vegan diet.
The Good News
The good news is that, if you’re picky about which CBD brand you purchase from, there’s absolutely no reason why CBD oil couldn’t fit in with even the strictest of vegan diets. Here at The Good Level, we want to make sure that high quality CBD is available and accessible to everyone, giving us all a chance to benefit from nature’s gifts without having to compromise on what really matters to us. With our CBD oil tinctures, you don’t have to choose between your health and your moral beliefs. We let you have it all!